John Calvin Maxwell is an author who has written more than 50 books, most of which focus on leadership. An internationally recognized leadership expert and speaker, his books have sold more than 12 million copies! The beauty of his books is that you will feel as if Maxwell himself is talking with you and explaining things lucidly and is at the same time, challenging you to be better person. Here, we have made a list of the 10 most important insights that one can gain from the books of John Maxwell and would like to share them:
1. True leadership is a simple and effective way of influencing people. “Leadership is influence.”, says Maxwell
2. Leadership isn’t a position that can be bought. It’s a process of showing leadership skills that will inspire and influence people to be better versions of them. According to Maxwell, “It’s the leader’s ability to say it, plan it, and do it in such a way that others know that you know how – and know that they want to follow you.”
3. Its never too late to achieve something. Don’t wait for motivation to come. “The whole idea of motivation is a trap”, says Maxwell. Instead, just do it!
4. Leadership is actually a collection of skills, all of which can be learned and improved. Though it is of course true, that some people are naturally more skilled to lead, yet it is a wrong assumption that leaders are born. Anyone with the desire can become a leader.
5. As a leader, you have to build trust. You simply cannot follow someone unless you trust him.
6. Success is more like a journey, a path where one should learn to take one day at a time. Maxwell says, “If you can handle today correctly, tomorrow will take of itself.”
7. Maxwell shares a few steps that will help one to succeed everyday – you should make a commitment to grow daily, don’t simply wait for inspiration to come but go and do it, be ready to sacrifice pleasure, plan out your priorities and finally, dream big.
8. Don’t get stymied by failure. It is only the unsuccessful people who are scared of taking risks to try in order to avoid failure. The ones who are successful know the art of using failure to inspire them even further. They never dwell on the negative consequences of failure; instead they focus on the rewards of learning from their mistakes. Maxwell says, “A man must be big enough to admit his mistakes, smart enough to profit from them, and strong enough to correct them.”
9. Try improving your personal growth continuously and Maxwell shares a few principles as to how can one do so – choose a life of growth and start growing today itself, always be focused on self development, never be satisfied with your current accomplishments, always be ready to learn and finally, make a plan for growth and find a way of making that plan successful.
10. Lastly, don’t take yourself too seriously and never equate success with happiness.